IS IT BREAKFAST? IS IT DESSERT? WHO CARES — IT’S BACON! FOR ALL WHO ENJOY A GOOD SWEET AND SAVORY COMBINATION, THIS IS ONE FOR THE RECIPE BOOKS.
Bacon & Blueberry Bread Pudding Pie
• 10 strips Frick’s Applewood smoked
• 8 – 10 oz day old or lightly toasted
French bread, cubed
• Pie dough (for 9” round pie crust)
• 1 cup blueberries
• 3 eggs
• 1 pint heavy whipping cream
• 3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
• 1 cup granulated sugar
• 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 415°F and cover lipped baking sheet with foil.
2. On the sheet, lay parallel 5 strips of bacon. Then, starting in the center and working your way out, take 5 more bacon strips and weave them together with the initial strips to form a lattice. Then bake for 20 min.
3. While the bacon cooks, line a 9” pie pan with your pie dough, then fill the pan with bread cubes. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, heavy whipping cream, vanilla extract, sugar, cinnamon, blueberries and a dash of salt. Once thoroughly combined, pour the mixture over the bread cubes. Try to spread out the mixture evenly.
4. Remove the bacon from the oven and lower the oven temp. to 350°F. Using two spatulas, carefully lift bacon lattice and place it over the bread pudding pie. Put the pie in the oven and bake for 60 min.
5. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 min. Serve warm.